Monday, April 14, 2014

Line - up

Flowers and cards arrived today from friends - How lovely!
Thank you from Willy and me.


I had my perm with Jackie who works here at Carrington. She knows exactly what to do with my hair and I will go through the next weeks not giving hair a thought.


Brenda drove me to the appointment at the funeral home in Mission and on the steps, was a friend from years ago. I don't know how some people can have this lovely aura surround their faces but she has it. She plays the piano seriously and rescued a very old Steinway, carved grand piano and had it re-conditioned to its original state.
Her partner added a large room onto his house to accommodate it and I went one time to listen to the top pianists of B.C. play on it. Wonderful.


I thought that Willy would have gone through the "procedure" and I would be glad it was over but because it had been a weekend and the doctor is on holiday - there's a line-up waiting to be attended to and he's still not cremated. It makes me feel unsettled until that part is over with.


We went through all the forms and the staff lady was very kind and patient. She chose to copy the photograph of Willy pretending he was fishing, holding up a net with a can of salmon in it and a cheeky laugh on his face. She did some faxing and Lo and Behold! she got the death certificates done and promised it wouldn't be long before I could collect his ashes.


It was a nice surprise when she said for a small amount of money the staff could officially notify all Government agencies necessary of the death. What a relief.
I had to say if I wanted his wedding ring and she assured me they wouldn't injure his finger to take it off.
I had initially chosen a box instead of an urn to put the ashes in but I didn't like what I saw. Brenda said "If you're going to spread the ashes right away, why bother. They put them in a cardboard box." And I thought it was just what Willy would say, so no urn. No dressing him up. No embalming. No coffin to take him to the oven. And there was no pressure to do otherwise. It made all the difference in the world to have Brenda there with me and if I wish the world anything it would be to have a companion with you when you have to do difficult things like this.


The Record office was closed so Brenda will take me tomorrow.


Step by step I'll get it done  signed Impatient Doris





No comments:

Post a Comment