Saturday, April 12, 2014

family

Yes - family counts at a time like this. It was so good to have their e=mails and hear their voices on the phone. And my dear friends with their messages are letting me know they cared about Willy and me. Thank you.
Joy came from Maple Ridge like a spring bouquet in a flowery dress. I think all my children are good organizers and "take hold" of situations and get things done.
"First you've got to eat" she said and we went to the White Spot and I had my favourite - strawberry waffle and the strawberries were real !!
Next we left the photos of Willy the last time I saw him at London Drugs for developing.
"What would you like to do?" Joy asked as we were passing my favourite Jewelry store. I needed a new watch so we went in. I bought a delicate watch (for best) which was half price and a silver chain for my neck. The staff there are friends and follow my path in life.
Then we high tailed it to Pleasantview in case everyone had left the building in their haste to get to the new building. Joy found the atmosphere as I had, disturbing, with no bustle and few care-aids. The care director took time to say she was sorry about Willy and she could tell he had known I was there when I last saw him and I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have to witness a struggle before he died. We all agree it was better that he didn't have to go through the move.
We collected all his clothes, razors and photo from the wall. Leaving the used creams, lotions, soap and toothpaste for the cleaning staff to clear up and Joy brought home the bear.
Once again, I'd forgotten for us to bring the small cart to wheel them to the car.
Goodbye dear Pleasantview - may the ones who will take over the building grow to love it as we did.


Off to the funeral home but it was closed for the week-end.
Then to the bank where I transferred some money from his account into our joint account.
By this time we needed to come home and as we came through the door, the funeral home called.
I'm to go on Monday at 3:15 p.m. and take a photo and info on Willy to identify him and praise be! I don't have to see him. I want to retain the picture I have of him as I last saw him.
They said they will help me get through the form-filling and have retrieved the record they made out when I went to them a long time ago. I can't believe that time has come.
The day was so full, I didn't feel bad. I was so grateful for the way everything clicked in.


Friend Wendy wrote an e-mail which summed up what Willy was about and how lucky we were to have had that time together. I will treasure it, thank you Wendy.


Hoping I will continue to cope well - signed Doris without her Knight in Shining armour!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Joy was with you today, and that willy didn't have to make the move. I keep thinking about Willy riding his bike in Heaven. Praying that you will sleep peacefully tonight, make sure to take care of you.

    ReplyDelete