Monday, March 3, 2014

The divorce angel

Joy came this afternoon, looking very nice with her new diet intact. I just can't get over how wise she is now.
I had told Brenda I wasn't happy with the writing I did for my talk. She suggested I read it to Joy and see what she had to say about it. Joy told me the first part wasn't true to what I am but the next part was and what I should aim for. It became clear to me it was exactly the right thing to do.
Later she told Brenda she was nervous to say anything to me, her mother, about it and I said I didn't understand why she should be. "Well, you've never asked my advise before" she said. I guess that's true. She's one of my youngest children.


We went over to Brenda's place and while I got caught up with Jay, the girls talked mainly about health and hospital stuff. They're both nurses.


Joy noticed that my glasses were askew and said I should get them straightened and what happened that they became twisted.
What happened was that I was being hugged very hard by one of my children and I could feel the glasses getting twisted because my head was burrowed into his chest but there was no way I was going to interrupt a loving hug to say "something's wrong with my glasses" so I let it go.
 I should frame them as they are physical proof that love is good even if it gets twisted.


So the title of this is "The divorce angel" and this is her story.
My former husband and I were separated for quite a while when he phoned to make a date for a dinner out.
First we chit-chatted and then he said "I think it's time we divorced."
The waiter appeared with a cheery smile and hovering over the table said "And how did you like your dinner?" He shocked both of us because our world was reduced to the pain of what we were going through. We managed to say the dinner was fine and I used the serviette to dab at my mouth to bring me back to earth.
Of course we'd known it would be this way but when it actually came, it was a jolt.
We had coffee, he paid the bill and we started to walk through the small gift shop adjoining the restaurant. Looking up I saw a china mobile hanging from the ceiling and clinking away. Small white angels turning at different levels and looking so pure, I hesitated.
Ted bought it for me.
Over the years it has moved with me, one angel after the other breaking during the moves until there is only one left. I always just stuffed it in a drawer and forgot about it but it popped up quite often. This time, I was clearing out a drawer and there it was again letting me never to forget the dinner when we knew our thirty-two years together were over.
 signed divorced Doris

No comments:

Post a Comment