Saturday, March 22, 2014

Facing the change in Willy



1. New residents must be equipped with pants which have hip protectors in them.
I think everyone who is coping with a loved one going to Extended Care, Terminal Care or any name they give the place which is the facility to care for this person you cannot manage to look after yourself anymore, should be able to face a few things in advance.
2. From using a walker, they will eventually need a wheelchair.
   My experience is to know you will probably land up buying/loaning two.
   The first could be smaller and lighter which will be easier to move.
   The second will be mainly for the resident to be able to nap by laying back in the larger one in comfort. But it's hard for them to maneuver.
3. The resident will reach a stage where they will have to be lifted to the toilet by a machine and     lowered back into the wheelchair.
   Also they will be wheeled to the dining room but the staff will feed them by spoon.
3. All the clothes which they came in with cannot be put on the person anymore. There's no need for hip protector pants anymore because the person doesn't even stand up so you can't ease the pants up over their bottoms. They will have slippers instead of shoes.
   So the next step is to contact a company/person who sells/makes disabled clothing.
4. To enable you to first be aware that time will come, I will tell you there is a place in Mission City
I will give you the address.
ADRESSING NEEDS - Disabled Services Clothing. #1 33225 1st Avenue Mission BC  V2V 1G7
Phone 1-800-817-4365


Amberin Bonnett.


Pleasantview has loaned me some of this type of clothes until the time when I can get Willy's made.


This came so suddenly. When I went to visit, he had just had his bath and his knees were covered with a warm sheet. It was one instance I could see what he was trying to tell me because he was pointing to it in an agitated way. It was a decision that was made, a turning point.
When I got some things from the loan cupboard, I put a warm jacket on Willy myself which had a slit down the back and could see it's now impossible to get the clothes behind him.
He was leaning too far over in his wheelchair and falling asleep so I watched as the staff worked the machine to lift him and put him to sleep on his bed.
His face relaxed and a look of peace came over him. I was glad.
I told the staff member what the doctor had told me. She asked if I wanted to be with him when he died and I said 'no'.
I must think about that answer some more. Right now I feel too fragile to have such an emotional time. I have to be careful of my own situation. I know Willy would understand because he always knew I wasn't strong with that kind of issue. And thinking back, he always protected me from upsetting instances.


I'll always be grateful for the loving care Willy has had by the staff at Pleasantview. Such good people.
signed - I have loved Willy too - Doris



No comments:

Post a Comment