Sunday, March 2, 2014

I do watch the Oscars

Yes I watch the Oscars. I can just visualize how Willy used to sit in his big chair and sigh these big sighs because he thought it was all trash. But the stage is always with me and the dresses interest me and some things move me when a recipient talks about someone having believed in them and the story of the film.
I loved being on the stage and everything connected with it. I was the lead in plays at school at the age of six till I left at fifteen. The Sisters at the convent told me not to worry about exams because they demanded a lot from me when they put on their theatre plays. Then when I worked in England my boss said never mind doing the typing - just make us proud with your acting!


Everything like that stopped when I was married and I can see why because I would have got into trouble, that`s for sure if I became popular as an actor. I wouldn`t want to do much housework and I`d have trouble with the men because I was pretty.
Well, I wasn`t pretty after I lost the baby in Canada. The doctor told me not to scrub floors or do too much exercise otherwise I`d have another miscarriage so I did the thing a house-wife could do for creating (other than having more babies) and that was to learn to make the best cakes in the world and of course who would eat them but me. I didn`t care then what I looked like.


There was a time in Sudbury when I managed to audition for a local play and was given a good part.
It was a horrible time for my husband as he knew he was going to lose the business but he let me go to practises. Two weeks before we were to put the play on, he said he couldn`t stand me being involved and I had to pull out. So it was never meant to be that I acted in plays again.


Getting back to the Oscars. I thought this was the best yet. I enjoyed the entertainment part and this woman `Ping`- where did she come from because I thought she was divine, her voice so rich singing `Somewhere over the Rainbow``. I had tears - not only because of her singing but they portrayed some of the film in the background and of course on the second day of marrying my first husband, we went to see that film. (1945)
Also my friend's mentally ill son had killed himself. He asked that we would sing `Somewhere over the Rainbow`` at his funeral and boy! We cried our hearts sore when we sang let me tell you.


I thought Ellen was a good host. The speeches were more detailed stories than before. There were more black people around (yes I know about the slave movie but there were black introducers etc.)
I thought it was a more tasteful production than usual.
I liked the red Peplum dress. Does anyone know what a Peplum is anymore.
Cute about Judi Dench not being there because she`s doing a sequel in India!!


signed non-acting Doris

















No comments:

Post a Comment