Friday, March 28, 2014

snipping threads

Brenda came to check everything that was to be sent to the income tax man was correct. And it was. So today I went to the bank and handed them the return envelopes and the form by inner office mail to say they can get paid. Whew! That's over with.


I had brought all the bags with Willy's clothes in them up to this apartment, thinking I'd go through them and sort through good or not good but I got weary just looking at so many so I loaded them into my small cart, took them to Sally Ann and thankfully, she smiled and said "Thank you so much!"


It helped to have a conversation about discarding at the BPWC the other day. Stories of people hoarding little by little and all of a sudden you're out of control.


So of course I looked around the store and found a warmer jacket in pigeon grey colour. Arm lengths for a gorilla but I can cut them down. While doing that tonight I found oodles of uncut threads and remembered the documentary about how the Chinese girls work and live in Jean factories and the jobs are divided up - cutting - sewing - ironing - putting on name labels - and last is the girl who has to snip all the loose threads. In the documentary the girl sat looking at a pile like Everest. I`m sure she felt more than weary herself.
My former husband and I had a high-end Ladies wear store. It was surprising that even the expensive dresses would have these unsightly threads. Ted would have an eagle eye for them and snip, snip away. But I noticed it made a difference all right. It`s off-putting when you are trying on a quality dress and see thread hanging down.
He was no `fixer of broken things in the home` and when I asked if he could try to fix my sewing machine, he took it all apart and cleaned each section - and no he didn`t lose any bits - he put it back together and said `I couldn`t make it go but it`s the cleanest sewing machine that doesn`t work!`


Lots of all kinds of people looking around in the store. I got a narrow frame because I sold the small painting that looked so right on a narrow wall. So my art senses stir and I`ll put it together when I feel ready.
There were extremely funny articles. I wonder if they allow people to take photographs - it`s hilarious. There was a steel framed chair covered in what looked like a Yak`s hide shaggy hair spilling all over and COLOURED BABY BLUE.
signed  - all my threads cut - Doris

No comments:

Post a Comment