Monday, January 27, 2014

the paintings

The cleaning ladies (girls) came today. They swish around the apartment and have told me they don't have to do much here because I do my own washing of bedclothes and other items and try to keep a certain order. (They say that it's a different story with the men)
It's important that they disinfect the bathroom toilet, shower and floor and vacuum the crumbs where I sit to eat or snack in the evening, otherwise I don't worry too much about things.


 I hid my unfinished paintings in the large closet/room so they wouldn't get dinged with the vacuum cleaner and I don't want people to see my working out stuff.
To my massive surprise, one of the young women saw them, especially "Molten Rainbow" and gasped with appreciation. "The colours are so vibrant and I love, love it" she said, "The colours glow and stand out and it's amazing how it works." This remark to my abstract rendition was so unexpected, because I never expect anyone to understand what I'm doing. I was happy about it. I told her that because the colours are complimentary they react in this strong way.


I received an e-mail from an artist friend to say there was a gallery who may accept paintings for sale.
A strange feeling came over me when I realized I have absolutely no thought of selling my work now. It feels foreign to me to even think about it. It's actually freeing to be away from juried shows and selling. It's just me and the paint.


I had just told Brenda that these would be my last large paintings. I have told someone they can have my acrylic paints as soon as I have cleaned up the work for July show and I really feel the time has come to make the decision. But it was nice to have a young person actually like and understand what I'm doing.


The foot lady came but I need a qualified Podiatrist because of my big toe. It still hurts from the damage six months ago. She came from "We Care".


I mailed a letter to Willy's niece in Sweden. His only things of value, other than what I've bought for him, is a pair of gold cuff-links, a large gold coin from Denmark and the gold ring that belonged to his father. His mother had taken his father's wedding ring (he died when Willy was seven years old) and had a black stone inserted to make a dress ring from it. Willy never ever wore it of course. But it is a family artifact and belongs with them and it's another thing I had to see done.


I saw him today and he looked uncomfortable in his light wheelchair, he will not even look at his large one but managed to enquire about my family and he thought I had three daughters (I have four) otherwise I can't make out what he says but he looked better than the other day.


Pleasantview was having trouble with the sliding door to enter the building and one new resident lady wanted to go home through it, another man didn't know what to dot until the nurse came and said it was all clear for me to go through quickly before the lady escaped. It reminded me of when Willy was always scheming to get out of the place. I used to worry that he would succeed but it was all bravado.


I finished Joyce Carole Oates book and she affirmed that so many will want all these forms filled out after a death. One thing is sure I certainly won't be affected as she was, going around wanting to commit suicide. I remember writing to my father after his second wife died. He didn't know what to do without a woman. I wrote to tell him it was ridiculous not being able to look after himself. Boy! Did he ever tell me off - but one has to deal with things and remain your own person, you can't live only through another person.


So gradually I'm catching up with things. I e-mailed my nephew who has lived in my sister's Heritage house in the village of Ashorne, Warwickshire since Peggy's death but now has a partner and has sold it. This was a tremendous decision because Ashorne and the house has been everything to him.
After twenty-five years of being in Canada, I went back to see Peggy in Ashorne and walking down the street someone recognised me as the star on the stage and a beauty queen during the war days!
Signed long-ago beauty Doris

No comments:

Post a Comment