Sunday, February 9, 2014

Writers of Maple Ridge

It didn't snow after all today so joy came to drive me to a Valentine's party for the writer's group in Maple Ridge.
I thought members would be dressed up in red but I was the only one so attired. There were about fifteen people there at Debbie's house and they had brought all manner of food for lunch and her husband made a darn good Chili.
It was most interesting as I remembered the group we used to have in Mission.
Some didn't get a chance to read a piece of their writing but didn't make a fuss about it. Not like me who would have rebelled at not getting my work heard.
I was impressed with one member who had not been confident when she first joined the group. The members praised her for having gained her voice now. The group has been good for her. They are patient and kind all around. Some tender loving people.
The Poet had a strong voice when he recited an excellent Beat-nik poem.
I loved every minute of the afternoon, finding I like all to do with writing as long as I can be free to just "tell it like it is" without pausing to worry about the finer intricacies of literature. I absolutely cannot be a 'clever' writer.


Dario and Joy drove us to the Blackberry kitchen restaurant in our marvelous Mission Heritage Park and we all enjoyed our dinner there. Dario had Pasta (he's Italian) Joy had chicken and lots of veggies and I had squash soup (yummy) and Hummus with grain crackers.


Coming home we heard Brenda's voice on the answering machine and my heart was glad even though she has a bad cold. She made the holiday! Said she had lots of laughs but was pleased to come home to Jolly old Canada. I'm glad she's home too and tomorrow will try to find one of those Ear Vacuums they advertise on T.V. Her ears are suffering from long hours on the plane. They couldn't land on time in San Francisco because of icy fog.


Got to watch the Olympics and Masterpiece Theatre.
Signed:- Doing fine for eighty-nine Doris







No comments:

Post a Comment