Thursday, February 6, 2014

Learning

My friend came to talk about some items on my mind. The poster in the elevator said there was a travel episode in the social lounge at 2 p.m. so we called in to see how it was.
Joan McLatchy was showing her travels to Russia (Sochi) and other countries ending up in Greece.
She's a wonder because she culls her pictures and allows them to stay the right time on the screen and talks about incidentals in the countries which we would not have known.
There are Palm trees in Sochi. Tourist are not allowed to shop in tourist shops unless you have a special Visa.
I love these episodes and Joan has a good voice. Just as well because there was a racket in the other end of the lounge with people playing cards. I was embarrassed.


Only two other people plus me were in the audience who lived in Carrington and three from somewhere else. It's like dragging people out of a tarred road to get them to come for anything like that here but we're all different. My friend and I enjoyed every minute.


Saw a commercial on the Television I think from the Government saying "Bring back Play!" It's hilarious. Could you ever imagine anyone saying that in the old days? It was the natural thing to do for kids.
How are you going to manage to bring it back when we've lost them to the other world of play on I-pods?


My friend is so sensible and such a good volunteer. I was glad that the Municipality gave her recognition. She's involved with finding women who will enter politics and isn't that wonderful?


Just had an e-mail from Joy. Snow is expected on Sunday so my treat might be cancelled. Mustn't drive any distance if there are bad roads. She would have to come from Maple Ridge to get me and then take me home when it was dark. Too bad.


It's been cold again today and no visit to Willy so I'll take a cab tomorrow if it's the same.


Jane Austen book is getting a bit dry now. It's certainly changed my idea of a young woman sheltered in a religious society. Her life was always busy with traveling around the country and attending balls, hob-nobbing with the Hoi Poloi and living in Bath where it was like a marriage market and where you met anybody who was anybody.
I learned that Mrs.Austen did as other wives did and farmed out their babies to be nursed and looked after until they were toddlers then at eleven or twelve children were sent to boarding school (did I tell you that already?) and to top it off Jane's father the minister took in boys to board at their house and set up a school.
If I'm repeating myself it's because I daren't stop writing to look up the last epistle to check because I'm afraid I'm going to lose my blog again.


signed Always learning Doris







No comments:

Post a Comment