Tuesday, February 25, 2014

books

Just finished reading "The Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot.
It took ten years of research for her to write the book. It involves this black lady being treated for cervical cancer and the Surgeon taking cells from her without her or her family's knowledge and they proved to be immortal and still live today. Cells usually die quickly so these have proved invaluable for the world to find cures for different diseases.
However, the family never benefitted financially and remain in poverty.


My daughter Laura sent me this book and today another arrived from her in the mail from Amazon. The life of Charles Dickens. It will have to stay quietly for a while until I have read Olivia Chow's story.
I took it to lunch today and it felt like I was having lunch with Olivia right beside me because the writing flows along, carrying you with her.


I still didn't get to see Willy - I'll be consumed with guilt if when I see him he will have deteriorated. It's happened before. But the snow is melting and the temperature is up to 6 degrees so tomorrow will be safer for me (the roads are perfectly clear now though.)


Heard from friend Joyce who had the same experience as me with going deaf due to ear-wax and different doctors not wanting to flush the wax out. She eventually got it done and can hear now.
Why don't they take lessons how to do it properly? What's the hold-up? Guess it's like that one doc. who burst the ear-drum of a lady while doing the procedure but they learn how to do surgery so why not include this job?


Signed Joining the book-worms - Doris

No comments:

Post a Comment