Friday, February 7, 2014

Sochi Olympics

Well - It'll be hard to beat the opening of he Sochi Olympics. Russia has SO much culture. There were many lovely  moments and so many people involved in the entertainment. The swans were in an original form.
Tolstoy - Always Tolstoy! I read his biography by the man who spent much of the time with him and then became Tolstoy's wife's enemy after he died. She was always suspicious of him. But the Russian Jews were marvelous, strong artists and changed our thinking.
I liked the idea that some countries had rainbow colours in their uniforms. Paraguay had only one athlete and some other countries only had two or three but good for them. I liked when Canada came on the scene the narrator said it was "A sea of red" There were 221 athletes. They've projected 9 gold medals and in all 30 medals.
I absolutely loved the beautiful slim women in white who were chosen to lead in the countries and the outfit they had - lovely crowns and the Islam lady had her head covered and a long gown whereas the others had short skirts and long white socks to their knees. Lovely.


"The real Jane Austen" picked up steam a bit. I got to where she died, then
 the book reverted to connecting the novels to her life and that sort of thing which I found interesting because she writes around the slave question and the British (and her brothers in the navy) benefiting from the tons of Opium shipped to China.


I also watched last night the documentary on Charles Bedaux and his "Champagne Safari". It's the second time I've seen it but it is supremely interesting and almost unbelievable.


A younger resident here was taking his small dog for a walk and two teenagers jumped on his back and he fell to the ground. His head is all bruised up. It's the latest craze going around in the U.S. to hit someone with a force to knock them to the ground, leaving them unconscious sometimes.


I got to see Willy and yes it was cold but the sun was out and the wind wasn't too bad.
He told me about losing his key to his car and a man was trying to help him and he told the man to get the car to the repair place and go to me to get some money because he didn't have any.
When I got to his room he was leaning dangerously over on one side of his wheelchair. he wanted to get some clothes ready for his bath tomorrow and put the bag into the cupboard. I held my breath until I saw he could return to sitting position. He was able to speak quite well and I could understand him but he doesn't like to be asked questions because he can't figure out what they mean.
We went for snack time and he managed to put most of his cup-cake into his mouth by himself so that was good to see. They gave me a cup of tea even though they're not supposed to do it.


A visitor said he'd seen me in a magazine. I asked him which magazine and he said "Something to do with Vampires". Found out he meant the magazine "What's on in Mission". He was excited he knew someone who was in a magazine!


Sign - Linked with the Vampires Doris



No comments:

Post a Comment